USDA issues Draft Guidance for Calculating Organic in Multi-ingredient products.
The USDA establishes that products labeled:
- “Organic” must have a minimum of 95% organic ingredients
- “Made with organic (specified ingredients or food group(s))” must have a minimum of 70% organic ingredients.
- Products containing less than 70% organic ingredients can list organic ingredients on the ingredient panel as well as the organic ingredient percentage on the information panel, although they cannot claim “organic” on the principal display panel.
Their draft guidance provides procedures on how to:
- Calculate organic percentages of multi-ingredient ingredients used in organic processed products.
- Determine the organic content of single-ingredient ingredients (raw or processed).
- Exclude water from ingredients used in organic processed products.
- Calculate the organic content of carbonated beverages.
- Exclude salt from ingredients used in organic processed products.